[Key moments in Anthogyr's history] 1949 : Anthogyr makes everything but the dentist's chair
Two years after it was officially founded, in addition to traditional subcontracting orders, Anthogyr was making a wide range of dental accessories and instruments that it sold to surgeons and prosthesis laboratories through specialized distributors. At the Sallanches factory, "an all-white building with a red roof, out in the middle of nowhere" , machines operated at full capacity to maintain the frenetic pace of production.
Hour after hour, in the workshop where bar turning, lathing, drilling, and threading took up the entire ground floor, a dozen bar machines, eight grinders, an automatic drill, and a threader transformed metal bars from the Ugine and Pont-de-Chéruy furnaces into a multitude of parts for assembly, some destined for customer orders, others for dental devices in the company’s in-house catalog. Assembly was performed in the assembly workshop, where workers also put finishing touches on contra-angles, amalgam carriers, anesthesia syringes, and other handpieces sold under the Anthogyr brand.
For a period of time, the company even sold products to former competitors in Germany and Austria! Many industrialists in those countries were faced with severe financial difficulties and, as part of war reparations, had had a significant portion of their equipment seized and given to the Allies. Starting in January 1947, through the union of manufacturers of dental equipment and devices, the Anthoine Émile et Fils establishments obtained a number of Index lathes that enhanced and upgraded their existing fleet of machines.
"A dozen bar machines, eight grinders, an automatic drill, and a threader transformed metal bars into a multitude of parts for assembly"
Anthogyr used the acquisition to grow its dental equipment business. The machines were also useful in supporting the growth of its dental business and, in 1949, the relaunch of its bar-turning subcontracting business. The next year was marked by the filing of a patent, the first of many'for a motorized, corded handpiece.